Sunday, January 9, 2011

Fuchsia Aplaca with Black Veil

Fuschsia Riding Hat

The alpaca yarn used in this hat has long fibers which lie flat on the hat, giving it rich texture without a halo of fiber.  The yarn is slighter thicker than I usually use so the hat is slightly more structured than usual.  I like the entire effect.  Unfortunately, this yarn is no longer manufactured.

This reminds me of a Victorian lady's riding hat, something that would be worn with a full riding habit.  No doubt, her skirts would be voluminous and she would be riding side-saddle.

The fuchsia flower has an Austrian crystal in the center.  The hatband and poof are of stretch velvet.  With the flower in the back, the veil can be pulled down to cover the eyes for a glamorous look.  Or it can be left sitting on the brim and the flower can be worn at the front, but off-center. 

Selections of my hats are available at Edenside Gallery in Louisville and at Anne Sawyer (Hats) in Lexington. Others may be purchased directly from me. For purchases, special orders or questions, please e-mail me.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - love the fuschia color! This does indeed look like a riding hat from Victorian times. You have such a way with design. I hope and pray this New Year is being good to you~~

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary - I sent you a couple of emails - just checking on you - just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you~~

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete